Thursday, March 27, 2008

Pottery for the Soul

Quote of the Day: I'm staring at the asphalt wondering 'What's buried underneath where I am?' Postal Service, Song: The District Sleeps Alone Tonight, 2003.

I was listening to this song today, and it really got me into a groove of a good day. It is so organic, and I live in an apartment building so I connect to it on that level I suppose too.

I'm thrilled Summer is coming, but I like Winter too - the change of the seasons in Minnesota appeals to me.

Last summer, Josh Grenier and I attempted a reduction firing in an electric kiln - and it almost worked! We attempted the firing off a weed burner (probably not the best choice in the world), especially for our Cone 10 glazes (essentially this means stoneware, high temp firing). The glazes fluxed, but the coloring wasn't great. I won't get into too much detail here, but if you're interested check out Josh's page: http://joshgrenier.blogspot.com/. I'm thinking of trying it again this summer. Here's a picture I had taken on one the night of the firing.
Onto other items: I'm thinking of having a pottery party like they do for Mary Kay products. Have someone organize it, invite their friends over to their house and prepare snacks, and sell pottery. The host would take a % of the money, and I would as well - similar to consigment, we could work out the details. Anyone interested in hosting a Pottery Party? Seriously, let me know because I think it would be a gas. I'd even volunteer to make a killer Penne Rossa pasta that is sure to please - even for those fans of Broder's Pasta Bar over on Penn Avenue in South Minneapolis. Have any of you been to Broder's before?

1 comment:

utilemud said...
This comment has been removed by the author.