Saturday, March 29, 2008

Mochaware Explanation in Ceramics Monthly 2008

Hi Everybody,

I just received my copy of Ceramics Monthly in the mail today. I recommend that any potter subscribe to this magazine if they can afford it, because it does provide a nice variation of articles. Typically, there is at least 2 articles that I find appealing and will read those. Plus, there is always a nice listing of vendors advertising their products in there, and I can check out what's new.

I was surprised to see in the Q&A in the beginning of this issue (Ceramics Monthly, April 2008), a write-up by Robin Hopper. I thought this was a new article, but to no avail - it's just a reworking from an article already published and been on the web for quite sometime. Save yourself the money on this article if your specifically looking for Mochaware related articles, and check out the following link if your interested in Hopper's words on Mochaware decoration: http://www.ceramicstoday.com/articles/mocha_diffusions.htm. Honestly, even Robin Hopper's article won't even get you very far, unless you use exactly the same clay body, firing conditions, mocha tea preparations, and slip preparations. My strong recommendation is to experiment. Determine what slips fit your clay body, what colors you like the mocha tea to be, and you will be well on your way to creating YOUR most beautiful Mochaware decorations. Keep notes though like your life depended on it, and don't always trust those test kilns (if you have one); specific gravity measurements, % oxide in a batch, and how long you dipped the pieces into the bucket - all these things and more are required for success. Nobody said it would be easy, but it will become second-hand when you make it your own.

Pictures will be up tomorrow; I just wanted to quickly provide my perspective on the Mochaware article in the new Ceramics Monthly magazine. ciao!

No comments: