Saturday, December 6, 2008

Urban Experiment Part I

I conducted what I consider an interesting experiment today, with humanity in general and also the neighborhood and City in which I live, Saint Paul, Minnesota. The two pictures below speak volumes, specifically people love free things. Today, December 6th, 2008, I put out a table of 'seconds' which potters typically sometimes try to sell at a reduced rate. 'Seconds' are usually considered to have some type of defect in design or manufacturability. To be more specific for example, glaze defects or a crack in the pottery during firing are usually tops on the list, which can compromise the longevity of the product and usefulness.


Back to the experiment now. I left out the above pottery items on Grand Avenue, along with a sign as you can see in the picture that says "FREE POTTERY." Also, I put a jar next to the sign with the words "$ Donations Optional, But Encouraged." 10 minutes later after seeing several families, and a few gentleman on their way to the liquor store, I looked inside the jar and there was $15 plus - with 5 items missing from the table, specifically a large pitcher and a few coffee mugs and butter dish. I took the $15 from the jar, and headed over to the Midtown Global Market where there was an art fair and ethnic foods for sale. I picked up some fruit for smoothies this week, and returned for home about 2 hours later. Now, for the next picture:

An empty table. No pottery left, and no jar with the sign on it. Now, whether there was money in the jar or not, I do not know for sure - someone may have very well wanted the vase, and there was no money in it, but let's both be honest, if in 10 minutes $15 was collected, after 2 hours and 20 pieces of 'second' pottery, there was probably a little. For me, this wasn't frustrating, but a validation of the world that I've always known it to be, selfish. This happened to Warren MacKenzie too, a famous Minnesota potter that used to have his studio wide-open to the public, people would craze after his stuff. I'm not comparing myself to Warren in the slightest so don't even go there, but he no longer sells from his workshop and I believe it's due to the selfish who bought more than they needed, turned around sold them online for triple, and being that he has always sold 'humble pots', closed down his open gallery (Lee Love is an expert on the story, so to learn more go to ClayArt, www.potters.org, and just search for Warren MacKenzie and you're sure to find more information). I bet I felt a little like Warren today, a bit taken advantaged of by humanity, or at least someone with imbalanced morality, but it doesn't turn me away from making great pots. I talked to someone else about my experiment, and they said that every person walking by was probably thinking the same thing, wow, I could steal that money in that vase and wouldn't get caught. I responded with, I wouldn't and does that make me a better person? Hopefully, the vases and mugs and other items people picked up on their stroll are going to be welcomed into their homes and used, and I bet a few stocking-stuffers. So long for now, happy holidays to everybody.



3 comments:

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

What an interesting story. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but maybe the good karma you created by gifting your wares to the honest folk will come back to you in ways you never expected. Perhaps wishful thinking...?

Dave Burkum said...

I loved your pottery AND I put the fifteen $ in the jar. Glad you got it. I went to get more cash to give you more, but when I got back (the vase with the sign on it was still there) there were a few people standing around that looked a little too interested in my donation, so I didn't put more in. I'd love to send you a donation. Where should I mail it? I'll send you an email so you don't have to post your response in the comments.

carter gillies said...

A shame someone left you with such a negative experience for what I'm sure had been extremely positive for the others who now enjoy your work in their homes. Perhaps your sign could have said to mail donations to your address. My set up is a little different bit also similar. My pots are on permanent display in an open 'gallery' attatched to the front side of my studio in my back yard, clearly visible from the street. So far in the year and a half I have had this set up I have not lost any pots, but when I have my periodic sales events there I sometimes get asked about the safty of the pots left out. Maybe its just that I live in a great neighborhood, but I also have developed an attitude that appreciates someone liking my pots enough to want them in their homes, even if it means risking jail to get them! Perhaps I'm just kidding myself and when I end up losing something I really care about I will feel different. I can't say. As a mediocre salesman I always lack confidence in my ability to find good homes for my pots. Sometimes I would rather give them away just to know that they had a chance at a life being cared for in someone's home and not just collecting dust on my shelves. I have discovered that in many cases the pottery presents I have given away turn the recipient into future customers. Hopefully as patricia said there will be good karma involved in your experiment and it WILL get back to you. Good luck!