Sunday, December 28, 2008

New Post on Pottery

I've been working on formulating a white, low-fire clay body. I've tried 50:50 Talc, OM#4 Ball Clay, it works well - too plastic, so I've added grog, 48mesh, 1/2% - works well in throwing. Add zircopax and bentonite to taste. Currently, I'm cleaning out my pug mill of all that red clay which has lots of red iron oxide. My initial tests with Talc Nytal have been scrapped, I'm using a new American Talc from Texas, I'm more aware of buying USA made clay supplies as shipping them across the ocean is prohibitive and costs a lot - Wollastonite comes to mind. On tap for the new year: fire inspection of the studio January 6th, formulating business cards, a few shows next summer, and working on lithographic transferring of images onto pottery using mason stains.

No comments: