Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Christmas Morning

A friend of mine, Sue, a potter out in Farmington, Minnesota said to me one time that she plans her firings so that during the cool down cycle she is sleeping. Otherwise, she'll burn her fingers on a very hot kiln, because she can't wait to see the results. Sort of like Christmas morning she described it, rushing to the Christmas tree to see what was under it, Sue said that many times she has blistered her finger tips lifting the hot kiln lid and unloading the pots while they're still very hot.

I bring this up because my kiln is cooling right now, and I can't wait to reach inside it to see what has come out. Some planned pots that time and again give consistent results, but some pots that I've really pushed the envelope in glazing. A very loose glazing session this morning was hastened by the fact that I only had 45 minutes to glaze the pots and toss them in the kiln. I got it done, but it was hectic. I hope to get some pictures up tomorrow of how everything turned out.

If you're a Twin Citian, I will be having a Sale this weekend on the corner of Grand Avenue and Milton. Located across the street from Birkenstocks. 1 block West of Victoria (Bread & Chocolate, Cafe Latte, and other fine coffee shops). Should be a nice weekend to come and walk the Avenue . . . introduce yourself, and let me know you read my blog. Thanks.

1 comment:

Sue Pariseau Pottery said...

My loving children bought me a pair of Ov Gloves for Mother's Day. They work really well for pots that are too hot to handle coming out of the kiln. I still try to plan cool down for my down time so I'm not too tempted. Until they sell patience at the store, Ov Gloves are my best bet. Great looking pots Brandon.