Thursday, September 11, 2008

Rubber Spider for Walker Pug Mill - Still Waiting

First, a picture, then some administrative stuff:
Supposedly the rubber coupling I need is discontinued, but I was resourceful enough after several phone calls and emails later, a part is on the way! If anyone ever reads this and owns a Walker Pug Mill, there probably isn't a part available anymore for the rubber spider as G-coupled Jaws are being phased out by a company called TB Woods and Lovejoy. If this rubber spider fails on me, I'll probably have to replace the whole jaw coupling. Should get the part by the weekend, or first thing next week. Then, to mix up some clay.

In other pottery news, I stopped by the Grand Hand Gallery on Grand Avenue in Saint Paul, where fine potters such as my first pottery mentor, Steve Lloyd, and others including Robert Briscoe, Sequoia Miller, and other fine potters, I came across some pottery by Lisa Buck here in Afton, MN. I really like here work, especially that she uses a similar earthenware clay. Lovely gold and black colors decorated in an oval baker (drool . . . $110, I'd like to have it). I'd like to visit her pottery studio in Afton. On the little notecard in the gallery, it said she apprenticed with Warren and Linda.
Thanks for reading the blog again, Matt! I like the # sign on the lateral fins of those fish!



3 comments:

Earl and Vickie said...

Great, and mine isn't in the greatest of shape. I figure that in a pinch I could make one out of layers of leather, or maybe some layers of rubber mat or part if a tire.....

Brandon Hanna said...

Hi Earl and Vickie,

I was thinking of using some heavy duty cord, but didn't know how it would interact with the torque of the motor - could be a big mess, couples grinding, and maybe injuring myself in the process. As soon as I flip that switch on in the pug mill, I try and stay as far away from that open hopper as possible; usually with a hand on the metal tamper and another hand grabbing the clay at the extrusion point.

I tried checking out your Blog, but couldn't link it up through your comment; will you please send it so that I can add it to my blogs that I keep track of?

I'm guessing that the spider that you have on your machine is the original, just as mine was. Pretty good for a 30 year old part.

Earl and Vickie said...

Sorry, don't have a pottery blog. I do have a kindergarten blog. You probably don't want to link to it though. Closest thing is the guild website. http://www.nevadaclayguild.org/

I only get to do pottery on the side now, and teaching kindergarten doesn't leave me much energy for that.....